I am still waiting for a normal week to happen for my guided math routine. It looks like NEXT week will finally be the week! Woohoo! I was able to get another day in today and it went pretty well. We are still working out some of the "kinks" with my parent volunteers and I realized today that it doesn't work when they show up late- our schedule is very tight. I am going to prepare some spare activities for students to work on if we end up waiting on our volunteers again. I am definitely learning new things each day we do our guided math :)
After attending the SMU Fall Conference, I thought about what changes I could make to my current action research in my classroom. The part of the conference that stuck out to me was the emphasis on zeal throughout the day. To be honest, I haven't given that virtue a whole lot of thought. It seems like I have been drawn to other virtues more during our time working with St. Mary's. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that zeal is actually an integral part of my classroom and I may not even notice it anymore. I try to inspire my students to find love in their learning through enthusiasm as often as possible. This week I continue to show my own excitement in our material and model that behavior for my students. We have fun learning new things each and every day.
I agree, sometimes keeping the zeal up when other areas of teaching are pulling at you is a challenge. Do you have any specific ways you motivate yourself during the day (or week)? Is there a story or song that keeps you going? Do you think you will talk to your students about the virtue of zeal? If so, how would you do that?
ReplyDeleteI have started to play music in the morning before kids come in. I find a Pandora station that I know the words to a lot of the songs. It's fun to jam a little to get geared up for the day. I haven't had the zeal discussion yet but could do it... especially as the end of the quarter approaches. I always talk about what report cards mean, goals we can set, etc. Mentioning the importance of zeal could fit nicely with this chat.
Delete