Thursday, September 18, 2014

Getting Started

For my Action Research project, I have decided to implement guided math in my second grade classroom. There are 22 students in my class and using a small-group approach to instruction (rather than whole-group) will allow me to better address the wide spread of math learning levels.

I gave my students a survey and will give it twice more this year. Students circled all responses that were true. I will graph my data and look for more positive responses as the year continues. The survey looked like this:
     When I think about math I feel... excited   nervous  angry   frustrated
     I think math is... easy   okay   hard   very hard
     I practice my math facts... everyday   3-4 times per week   1-2 times per week   never
     I practice my math facts with... flash cards  apps/computer  worksheets  nothing
    What else does Ms. Werle need to know about you and math?


Today we did our first "practice run" with our four rotations. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went! The transitions took some extra time but everyone worked so well at their stations. If this is any indicator of how this will play our during our "real" times, it is looking to be a great fit for my students!

3 comments:

  1. I like your survey questions. Did any of the first responses shock you by any students? When I have done surveys in the past, I have always found one or two students that made me think of why they responded the way they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a few responses that surprised me. I had a couple of students who really struggle with learning (math, in particular) yet responded that they feel excited about math. I was intrigued so I visited with those kids and they said they really like math but it's really hard. We can work with that! I was pleased with how honest my students were with their responses. It gave me a great idea of where we were on "day one".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah! My name is Monica Thompson, I am part of the Pelican Rapids community. I an a technology integrationist for a service coop in Fergus Falls, MN.
    I also like the questions you asked your students. It will be interesting to follow you research, and see how the responses change after you implement guided math.

    ReplyDelete