Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Practice Makes... Better!

This week I decided to take one more week to prep my students before we start our "true" guided math next week. I am still working on a parent volunteer schedule since I won't have any paraprofessional time in the afternoons. I am struggling a bit with our time slot that is being designated for guided math. The only chunk in our schedule large enough is at the end of the day. The majority of my class has been doing okay with our schedule but a few are having a very hard time with staying hard at work during our long afternoons; this becomes a challenge for everyone else in the room as well. I am hopeful that once this becomes our new "normal" everyone will get settled in and be able to work to their potential.

Another blog, Serenade to Second Grade, shared some great ideas for partner games that my students can use. I was able to print these descriptions out, organize the dice/cards/etc, and separate into Ziploc baggies. These games are very useful for our first unit on number sense. I can also make adjustments to move the games to the next level for students who are ready for more challenges. I love the flexibility these games allow and how excited my students were to begin playing them!


4 comments:

  1. Hello! I am very excited to hear about your journey into guided math. I would really like to learn more about it, so KEEP BLOGGING! A question I have for you is - how do you introduce the lesson? Only small group? What are the others doing? This must be some work initially, but I bet you know your students well and can differentiate easily because of guided math. Another question -- do you use Daily 5 or is this Daily Math separate? Our school is "looking" at Daily 5 and I am dabbling in it this year...

    Anyway, best of luck to you and I am excited to share this journey with you! Kudos! Michelle Tonsfeldt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      Thanks for you excitement about my "big plan" :) It is taking shape slower than I anticipated... but I think that's okay. I'm trying to to rush through the important learning curve of figuring out what works and doesn't work. I will post more about exactly what it looks like in my classroom. Keep an eye out for my next post!
      We don't currently do an official Daily 5 at my school but I do incorporate some of the pieces into my language arts instruction. The math instruction is separate. How is the Daily 5 going for you?

      Delete
  2. Oooh, the end of the day is tough. Combined with it always being at the end of the day--double tough! Are there brain-breaks or activities that you can incorporate to the lessons daily? Is it possible to take the kids outside for any part of the lesson (at least until the snow starts flying)? What can you do for your own mental stamina on these days? Can you get out of the room before-hand to give yourself some fresh air?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaclyn,
      Thanks for your insight. I am starting to incorporate more brain breaks into our afternoons. I like the idea of taking 5-10 mins before we start math and doing a few laps around the playground or a longer brain break. I also might add a "half-time" show between my 2nd and 3rd rotation for everyone to get their wiggles out. I will join the class during these times and hopefully help my own mental stamina. I hadn't even thought about myself...thank you!

      Delete