Thursday, November 13, 2014

Leadership Interview

     When deciding who I would interview about leadership, the first person that came to my mind was my colleague, Robin. She taught 1st grade at my school for the past 26 years and had the opportunity to move up to the "big leagues" of 5th grade this year. Robin is one of the most passionate people that I know. Specifically at school, she works very hard in her classroom to make changes that will affect her student in a positive way. She also is a strong voice on our staff who isn't afraid to ask the hard questions and remind people of the bigger picture.
     During our conversation, I was surprised that Robin was -the- person who brought Guided Reading to our school many years ago. She had gone to a conference about it, talked with our Reading Specialist, and came up with a plan to implement it in our school. She also shared that this was one of her greatest accomplishments as an educational leader. I agree!!
     I was able to connect with one of Robin's thoughts about something that a lot of teachers do but really should not. We talked at length about how quickly kids can get a label from teachers and that label follows them all the way through their school. So quickly they become either a "yuck" or "peach". That lack of respect given to students certainly impacts their motivation to do well in school. They know when they have that automatic target on their backs and can't seem to shake it. How can we expect students to be respectful of adults when those same adults are being so disrespectful when referring to these kids? Teachers talk about starting fresh each and every day but we both agreed that many teachers fail to follow through with their intentions.
     A quote that stuck with me was, "Leadership means being able to see a vision in its entirety. Good leaders surround themselves with people who they can trust to be honest to them, despite how good or bad the conversation needs to be."




4 comments:

  1. That's a great quote. I am glad you posted it.

    When you talk about teachers talking about and labeling kids, do you mean by their abilities or by their reputation? I know I have had thoughts pop through my head about hoping so and so doesn't show up on my list because of behavior but never have I worried about academics. You are right, we need to stop looking at the outside of a kid and look to the inside of the kids. They are more than their behavior and/or reputation. I have a coworker who is doing a fantastic job with a student who has been labeled in a negative way, along with his family. My hope would be that his next 10 years of school he would have a teacher that believes in him as much as she does. What I fear is that all the work she has done this year will be lost as he moves through the grade levels because of his "reputation". The other day she and I talked and we boiled it down to; Right now, is right now, and this teacher needs to do what is in her control and his best interest and worry about the rest later. What do you think of that? Any advice on what I should tell her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was referring to the labeling based on behavior. I think your coworker needs to sit down with whoever that student will have for his teacher next year and talk about what worked and what didn't this year. I think if the new teacher has some insight and tips of how best to meet his needs he will (hopefully) come to her as a blank canvas without the negativity that could otherwise accompany his start to the school year.

      I am in a similar boat this year with a student as well. This is what I plan to do with his future teacher because it has taken me almost 3 months to find things that sort of work for him.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing that she was able to come back from a conference and start something great in your school. Have you ever thought of things that you can take from our Master classes and bring to the school to help make it a better place for our students? You can be a leader just like she is!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really hoping that this guided math will catch on with other primary teachers. They are always complaining about how we need a math resource teacher because it is "impossible" to differentiate as much as we need with only one teacher. I am finding that it really isn't too hard if you can get into a routine and stick with it. We'll see! :)

      Delete