This past weekend we took some time to assess how our Action Research and Review of Literature is coming together. I realized that I have quite a bit of analyzing to do in the next few weeks. Leading up to Christmas is hard to have time for my usual rotations with our wacky schedules and needing to finish up so many things here and there. Personally, I feel the effect of being so in the groove with small group math that I struggle with getting back into whole group for more than just a day here and there. There is a noticeable change in the atmosphere when we get back to whole group; more kids seem to be confused and I have a hard time getting around to everyone. Maybe, as the teacher, I have gotten out of practice of teaching math to the entire class. It's kind of an odd feeling because everything else I teach whole group feels normal but math is throwing me off.
Today I entered my data from our weekly math fact tests for both addition and subtraction. I am still deciding how exactly to share the information but here are just the overall class results. These numbers are the total number of correct facts done in 2 minutes by the whole class.
Addition Subtraction
10/8 361 266
10/22 448 318
11/5 484 327
11/12 521 359
11/19 518 381
12/3 520 331
12/17 492 336
I am planning look at specific students with their weekly breakdowns since I am seeing some trends with how they responded to my surveys. For example, a few kids who were honest about not liking math and not practicing at home are not making the gains that others are making.
I will also enroll both second grade classes in the Winter NWEA session. While this isn't the perfect control group, it is as close to one as I can get. There will hopefully be some comparisons... maybe look at kids in each class that had similar RIT scores for the Fall session and how they performed for the Winter.
From my personal observations and reflections it is becoming evident that I don't have everything figured out yet... AND THAT'S OKAY! I am learning so much more about the best way to do this through trial and error. There are some changes that I will make in our rotations/instruction during January and February. I will then be able to address those changes in my paper and at the conference. It will be here before we know it!
No comments:
Post a Comment