Our Master's group started a book study this week. We are reading Entertaining an Elephant by William McBride. It's a great book and an easy read. I am really enjoying it!
Think back on one day this week or last week, what is your right and left hand count?
Mr. Reaf, the main character in the book assessed each day using a finger count. Fingers on the right hand were "wins" and fingers on the left were "losses". It is different for me because I don't have set class periods with different groups coming and going. I just looked at the events of the day. I ended up with a 4:2 ratio for the day.
Right/Wins: Got a box of pears for a Christmas present from a student (a sure sign of a GREAT day to come!), nice conversation with a challenging student, great trip to the nursing home, How-To presentations were a ton of fun
Left/Losses: 3 office referrals for a student, Christmas gifts for student parents didn't go as smooth as I had hoped
What other assessment techniques do you see Mr. Reaf using?
Mr. Reaf assesses students based on their verbal and nonverbal cues. Some of these are accurate but others give him a false sense of the type of students he has in his class. Mr. Reaf is also so set in his ways that he uses his day-to-day assignments as benchmarks for students.
What type of reward or consequences do you have? Who are they for or who do they benefit?
My students have rewards of extra recess and dance parties. My most recent reward (which is actually really lame) is to go on "field trips". We take the round-about way to our specials classes- it's amazing how excited kids get to see other parts of the school! Consequences are missing recess, sitting out of activities, writing a note home, or going to the counselor or office. The students certainly benefit from the rewards. I also benefit from them because the kids are so excited to get to do something special with me. Students benefit from the consequences because they have time to think about their choices. I selfishly benefit when a student is unable to stay in our classroom; other students benefit as well.
Complete a “Y” Chart for Mr. Reaf’s classroom.
What does it look like?
- very structured
- I picture rows of desks
- orderly
- bland/boring look to it
Sound like?
- monotone
- no laughing
- students talking back
- more discussions starting to take place
Feel like?
- cold/not inviting
- boring
- detention
- students dread coming
No comments:
Post a Comment