Last week I started a new unit in Social Studies. We are now studying the Native American lifestyle and traditions. Our assignment to do some storytelling in our SMU class could not have fit more perfectly with my agenda for the week!
Today I started our lesson by talking about legends and folktales. Students shared several examples of stories they have heard- How Giraffe Got a Long Neck, Why Zebras Have Stripes, etc. We discussed that even though these stories may not be true, they do give us a fun reason of why things are like they are. I then read How Chipmunk Got His Stripes by Joseph and James Bruchac. I think the trick to good storytelling is to use different voices, animation, and movement. A few times in the story I got really quiet and then really loud for dramatic effect. The kids loved it! It was fun to see them leaning closer and so engaged during those quieter parts.
No comments:
Post a Comment