Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Collaborating with Colleagues

This week I am reflecting on the professional relationships I have developed over the past four years at my school. I had a unique first year because I taught K-7 Spanish and traveled to each classroom. For that reason, I never truly had my own space; I learned to share and 'co-habitate' with every single classroom teacher at my school. That opportunity (and sometimes challenge) allowed me to develop many more relationships than I would have had by just being in my own classroom. I didn't get drawn into the cliques as much as others because everyone had to get used to me... they couldn't get away from me :)

I feel comfortable to approach teachers at any levels to inquire about best practices. I see them doing great things in their classrooms I am able to start a conversation about how to do something similar with my students. Other teachers have also approached me to start the same conversation about things I am doing in my classroom. Making those connections are so great for both teachers and students. I feel like we are pushing each other more this year as a staff than we have in years past. I hope we can continue on this path because students are certainly reaping the benefits of our collaborations between grade levels. 

4 comments:

  1. Way to go in being a leader in starting conversations! That is a hard thing for me sometimes, especially with teachers who have many more years of experience:) I know sharing space isn't always ideal, but I too experiences tremendous amounts of learning when I had to share a space. My first year of teaching the schedule worked out so that I and the department head could share a classroom(none of our classes overlapped). This was a bit strange at first (to always have another teacher present during my lessons), but then it just became normal. And for me it was the most amazing organic mentorship I had. Being able to sit on this experienced teacher's classes daily taught me more about being a quality educator than I would have ever learned sitting in my own classroom with quietness during my prep periods. I think there is something to be said for "cohabiting" with other teachers. Once it becomes the norm, I think we can all learn so much from on another in a non-threatening, relationship-driven way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with the co-habitating thing. I think you were lucky to have such a special (although I'm sure intimidating at first) opportunity during your first year as well. Awesome!

      Delete
  2. I love hearing about what other teachers are doing, too! I think we learn more from each other and together than we would at any conference or workshop alone. Together is better, I think. The hard part is when you get into a situation where not all team members want to share and collaborate. It is hard to keep pushing yourself especially when it comes to friendships being involved. I just finished sharing my space for the first time with a student teacher. I loved it! Luckily, she was great, but what I learned from her and the ideas she had to share were priceless. It has been the best part of my year so far. Good luck to you on your leadership voyage. How do you think you would handle a situation where a couple of your grade level teachers felt like you do about changes and sharing and one did not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have experienced a bit of this from a 20-year teacher at my school. She is very comfortable with how she has done things for years. I have noticed that this year she is coming up with more new things than in the past? Maybe I am subtly pushing her in that direction?? ;) I think a conversation needs to be had about just giving something a try. It may not be something that teacher wants to continue but nothing is lost by giving it a shot. Get out of the box for the moment and look around.

      Delete