Thursday, November 13, 2014

Leadership Goal

As we embark on the last six months of our M.Ed program, leadership is becoming a main focus. We have been growing so much during this program that we are now more engaged and prepared to take on a leadership role in our school communities.

My goal is to use my leadership to focus on the others' strengths to guide the group. I want to lead my class to become more independent and cognizant of their own strengths. My students have many gifts and talents that often go unused during the course of our days/weeks/months. I want to offer students a chance to share these things with our classmates, especially if we have any 'experts' about a particular topic. I have heard many times that in order to master a concept, one needs to be able to teach the content. Over the next few weeks we will explore our gifts and try to tie them in to what we are doing in our classroom curriculum. If they have a hard time deciding on something, I will suggest ideas that I have after getting to know them over the past few months. They will be able to become experts about something new. Students will be asked to explore the leadership role when we come to their area of expertise. This goal is very much in the planning stage but I hope to explore gifts next week and try to align student strengths with content over Thanksgiving Break.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. You are going to become more of a leader by getting your students to be better leaders! Yes! It really goes to show that truly effective leaders bring out the best in those around them, whether it is our students, colleagues or learning community :) Can't wait to see how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caleb! It is definitely a bit more of a challenge than I realized but we'll get it going... hopefully sooner than later :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't think of focusing on students like you have! That is such a good idea and I can't wait to hear what transpires. Lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping it works as well as I can envision it in my head :)

      Delete