Over the past two weeks I have been able to incorporate the use of iPads into our guided math rotation. I am having students play math games 2 out of the 3 days each week. The various levels available on the games allow students to be challenged at their own ability level. The kids are so excited to get to use this technology and also know it is a huge piece of responsibility as well. It was fun to see them help each other a bit with getting started on the iPads. Now they are old pros :)
I still have students play partner games at least one day each week, or when the iPads are not available. Having learning experiences with a partner is a piece a want to keep in this program. It is certainly a challenge for some to incorporate this social piece with some of my strong personalities. We talk about how to coach each other and how things may come easier to some people more than others.
There is another piece of data that I hadn't planned on using but now am considering it. Each week in the computer lab students complete 2-minute fact tests (one addition and one subtraction) before we start our activity for the day. A good amount of students have made some dramatic increases. Others are not improving at as high of a rate so that is something I could address and looking into more in the weeks to come.
I like the components for being a teacher, group work, and "not understanding" in the guided math class. Is the technology piece solely used to play learning games during the guided math? I wonder if there could be some apps that could enable the Ipad to be used as a learning tool and not a learning toy?
ReplyDeleteGood questions. I am still exploring for more good apps. One app is called Flash Cards and it lives up to its name. Kids practice facts using the electronic flash cards. It has an option to use "paper and pen" in the sidebar of the app. The other one is called Math Stretch and it gives different activities to practice number lines, evens and odds, ordering numbers, etc. The apps I'm using so far learn more towards learning tool than toy I think.
ReplyDelete