My "Shackleton Strength" is starting to pick up some steam. Last week I did my example of how to pass a volleyball. I explained them why I picked this strength, the how-to steps, and then had them try it. We had a blast! Students then wrote two or three How-To ideas on a piece of paper. I had a chat with each student while I looked them over to see how realistic they were. Most of them were fantastic! I few needed to be whittled down to something that we could actually do at school. I also needed to weed our a few (wrestle, play Minecraft, run fast, have good handwriting). I said they were great ideas but that other things on their lists would be easier to teach and have the class practice. Everyone seemed pleased and excited to start planning.
This week students are going to begin planning what they will need and how they will teach. They will sign up for a day when they will teach the class. I am hopeful that next week will work to have a How-To week. I am excited to see students take pride in their How-To skill and also the positive responses that kids will have to their 'student teachers'. Stay tuned...
That sounds really run Sarah! What a great idea to help them use their strengths. I always have done that with a "generic" idea where they all did the same thing. Your idea is so much better. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to give that a try too!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a great way to allow students to be engaged and also differentiate through the power of choice. Allowing them a chance to teach about something they are excited to share and also something they already have confidences in their own understanding of will certainly help them to be able to project and learn to speak in front of peers. I look forward to hearing how it goes next week.
ReplyDeleteWe did some step-by-step planning today and it went GREAT! I can't wait to report next week after they all have a chance to be Mr. or Ms. How-To :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a great way to get students engaged! I may steal it! :)
ReplyDeleteYour Shackleton strength is such a great way to build self-esteem in the students. They probably don't stop to think about what strengths they truly possess.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great way to make school memorable for your kiddos! It is fun to see students recognize the strengths they possess. How long will this unit take?
ReplyDeleteThe unit hasn't taken too long. I think we set up the premise over a few days and then they had this weekend to practice. This week are the presentations.
Delete