Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Transformational Leader

James McGregor Burns defined transformational leadership as a process where "leaders and their followers raise one another to higher levels of morality and motivation."


I have decided that my transformational goal will be to be become a stronger voice on my staff. I have always been the one who is so flexible that I can almost always go-with-the-flow and choose not to get tangled up in those heated conversations that makes everyone's skin crawl. I am a rockstar tongue-biter! Going through this SMU program has given me the confidence to start sharing my viewpoints more often. The things we have learned and the leaps we have taken have given me the courage to give my opinion (especially when it ties in with the coursework we have worked so diligently on). I have certainly gotten "gutsier" even in the past few months. I feel that if I can get even one more person to view something from a different point-of-view, I will be making progress. Maybe my increased vocal present will encourage others to speak up when normally they don't. There are many more viewpoints present on my staff than are shared at meetings. It's time for some fresh input!

There is a new teacher at my school who is most definitely a transformational leader. She recently finished the her Master's degree through SMU in the K-12 Reading program. Emily came with so many great ideas and hasn't been afraid to share them despite being the "newbie". She has certainly held her own and has enlightened other teachers to re-examine how they have approached Literacy in their classrooms for many years. I am changing grades next year and am psyched for her to by my new teaching partner! We will be able to hold each other to high standards as well as push each other to keep up with best practices.

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to know when to "rock the boat" and when to just "keep the peace" in any working environment. I too more easily bend toward holding back my opinions in meetings. I usually let my convictions drive my decisions but am not always verbal about my convictions. But I can see how as I learn more and have more supporting information to share then I am more likely to share because I can lean on other resources rather than simply my opinion. I have gained a lot of access to more information via this program and I think knowing that I have research and resources to support my view I am enabled me to feel like I am not alone in what I am expressing as best practice. I like to think that this is what we do as teachers--give students resources and experience to gain the confidence they need to be able to share their ideas with confidence and be a leaders.

    ReplyDelete