Thursday, January 29, 2015

Critical Thinking Questions

In preparation for the Spring Conference, we have been reviewing how to write questions that promote critical thinking. I want to create questions that will share my guided math implementation and help my seminar attendees connect with the information I present. I want to design questions that will not only peak their interest but also hopefully address some of the challenges they are struggling with on how to begin guided math in their classroom.

How does implementing guided math insure that student needs are being met at all ability levels?
  • Implementing guided math has allowed me more flexibility when working with students at different ability levels. I am able to spend more time on a new concept with my struggling students and move on to more challenging concepts with my advanced students. I like that I still get to meet with all students each class period. In the past I found myself focusing my extra energy on the struggling students and just sending an extra worksheet with my advanced kids to keep them occupied. Giving them equal amounts of attention leads to everyone getting what they need.

How do you find enough time in your schedule for another large block of instructional time?
  • This was one of my biggest challenges when first deciding that I would implement guided math. I already do guided reading so the majority of my mornings were filled with Language Arts instruction. I pushed my Science and Social Studies to the morning right before lunch. I was able to open up the 2-3:15 time slot on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. On those days we have to give up our end-of-the-day recess but instead do more brain breaks throughout the afternoon. I will be the first to admit that I was initially dreading having math at the end of the day but with the 15 minute rotations the kids stay surprisingly engaged. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job with your questions. I think the experiences and challenges you have had with your AR piece will help others to decide if they are ready to implement guided math and how to find the time to do it. Your responses to your questions are encouraging. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete