Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Entertaining an Elephant- Week 2

We are almost done with the book. Just a few more pages to go! 

What are 3 positive things that are happening for Mr. Reaf?
- Mr. Reaf is allowing himself more flexibility in his class routine
- The students are starting to enjoy coming to his class
- The students are opening up to Mr. Reaf and he is doing a bit of it as well
What are 2 characteristics of Mr. Reaf that you see in yourself?
- Sometimes it is hard to get out of your 'groove' when it seems to be accomplishing your goals
- Showing that you care for students, beyond the classroom, means a lot to them
If you could ask Luis 1 questions, what would it be and why?
How did he become so wise and knowledgeable about life? I wonder what Luis did before he began working at the school that allowed him to develop this view of life.

Who is your “janitor”?
My janitor is our RB2 community. I didn't know what to expect when I signed up for a Master's course over a year ago. One our very first day I knew I could not have made a better decision. Our RB2 members have so much to share with each other! Not only have I learned from my subject alike/grade alike groups, but I never have the chance to interact with teachers outside of my PK-7 building. I love hearing what's going on with the "big kids" in different classrooms!
What role do the quotes play for Mr. Reaf’s class?
The quotes in Mr. Reaf's class give his classes a 'jumping off point' the doesn't revolve around grammar. These quotes allow his students to have deeper conversations and get to know one another. Mr. Reaf is also learning more about his students each day.
What do you use for “quotes"?
In my classroom, I start most lessons asking if someone can tell us what we talked about the day before. Sometimes I like to see if a student is able to re-teach the class the big ideas from the previous day. It gets everyone thinking right away. 
What do you consider Mr. Reaf’s greatest transformation?
I think Mr. Reaf's greatest transformation is how he is now connecting with students. At the beginning of the year he was more focused on just getting through the day and doing his finger count. Now he is engaging with students during the whole day. He doesn't feel the need to finger count anymore because the days are going so much better for the students and for himself.

2 comments:

  1. Your community must be reading this for an assignment. Is this a book you would recommend others read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! It's a really quick read and definitely gets you thinking. It wasn't what I expected it to be but I did enjoy it. The book follows a teacher who is very 'by the book' and shows how he can change his ways if he tries.

      Delete