This week we were asked to reflect on the progress of our Shackleton Strength. I am still seeking out ways for my students' strengths to shine whenever possible. Lately I have trying to consciously focus attention on when students master a concept. Students are transitioning into the 'teacher role' more and more in my room. I make sure that the same kids are not always the 'teachers' that can be the go-to in our classroom when I am working with other students. I try to emphasize students (especially those at a lower academic level) when they finally understand a concept. I love to see them being able to use their knowledge and assist others. My higher students do wonderfully as teachers as well, but there is just something about those kids that usually need to ask for help being able to take charge and answer questions for a change. It's fun to see how comfortable students are getting with each other.
We also viewed William McRaven, an Admiral for the United States Navy, as he addressed the University of Texas graduates at their commencement ceremony in 2014. He shared 10 great tips about how to change the world. I wish I had a speaker like that at my undergrad graduation. I can't even tell you who addressed us five years ago!
The tip that resonated most with me was: You change the world by giving others hope. One person can give the world hope- sing when you are neck deep in the mud. This made my think of a recent Kid President video I had seen. That kid cracks me up and inspires me at the same time :) I try to focus on this idea of changing the world when things get overwhelming or I see too much negativity in the world around me. We need to start small and remind others that change can happen from the simplest moments. I don't need to be the world's greatest teacher to have an effect on my students. Change can happen with a smile or a kind word. As long as people are feeling loved and appreciated, they are changing for the better.
I love that tip, Sarah! I bet your students know without a doubt that you care about them! I would love to see you teach. :) Focusing on acknowledging lower students when they master a skill is so powerful. It makes them feel successful and also gives them HOPE! :) How do you share with students who the "teachers are"? Do you just do it quickly when they have a question by send the students with the question to the "teachers" or do you have a system?
ReplyDeleteSounds like your kids really love being in your class and you have a nice community going. The fact that they feel comfortable enough to teach and help others (and that others accept that help) is great! I wonder the same and Jenny how do you pick the teachers and how do you let them know? I have run into the problem of students getting "a big head" when they become teachers. They think they are pretty cool. Do you have any of those problems and how do you solve it?
ReplyDeleteI haven't come across that problem yet, maybe since it is so informal. I did have a parent at conferences in October share that her child was getting overwhelmed when kids were always asking him for help (he couldn't focus on his work). I shared with all students that it's okay to tell a friend that you can't help them at a particular moment.
DeleteHmmm maybe you could point out how you help other teachers around school (and ask for help) and none of you show off. You take your job seriously and right now they maybe aren't up for the challenge of helping others. "Challenge" = gold with the little ones :)
I love the singing in the mud idea also! Keep on singing Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to take your idea! It seems like those struggling students don't ever get to take on the lead. I'd also like to know your system for achieving this!
ReplyDeleteI don't have a perfect setup for finding teachers. I have seen on Pinterest- as I'm sure you all have :) - about using special nametags or stickers. I instead am much more less formal. At the end of a lesson, before kids start to work on individual work, I do a quick fist-to-five count. I explain that a fist means they are so comfortable that they are ready to reteach the information for classmates. Those with a "five" make it a "high five" and kids can look to see who the go-to kids are if anyone has questions. It seems to be working out well so far.
ReplyDeleteDuh......FIVE means they are really comfortable. Must be Monday...
Delete