I chose to focus on Building Community for my leadership goal. I have coordinated with our preschool teacher to have my students buddy up with the preschoolers to read Dr. Seuss books. We are practicing every day and even have the 5th graders help up us when we can (because Dr. Seuss books are challenging!) :-) Seeing the interactions with the the 5th graders has been awesome... they truly have taken on the role of teachers. I think it is important for my students to get the chance to be the "big kids" and share their skills with younger kids. I am really excited (as are my students!!) to read to the preschoolers next week. I think of how much my second graders look up to our 7th grade buddies and how these preschoolers will now look to my students with that sense of awe. If it goes well I hope to make this a regularly scheduled activity between the two classes.
Hey Sarah! Like I said in our email, I think it is great that you are stepping forward and being the leader when it comes to an initiative like this. I doubt that 2nd graders get to be the "leaders" very often...I think they will love it! If it is successful do you think you will try and get other teachers to begin the buddy system as well? Woot!
ReplyDeleteIt would be fun to get more people interested!
DeleteI love you idea Sarah! I haven't thought of putting my second graders in that role. This is something I want to try too. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI love this, Sarah! I bet your kids are really enjoying it. Did you teach them questions to ask the preschoolers?
ReplyDeleteI've been reading one of their books aloud each day and model how to ask good questions about things in their book. It has been fun to hear the questions they are coming up with on their own! Now I just need to remind them not to ask too many questions... preschoolers don't have that long of attention spans :)
DeleteHappy Dr. Seuss week last week if I recall. Way to teach the 5th grade students some valuable lessons and in doing so, you have also allowed students to learn in the best way possible, by having teach to each other
ReplyDelete