Thursday, April 23, 2015

Continual Growth Plan

We have done a lot of reflecting during this program about things that have worked (or not worked) and the growth made as an educator. Now it's time to fast forward. Where do I see myself in the years to come? Will I continue to embrace change? Look for new ideas? Encourage others to do the same? I feel like there are a ton of questions marks at this point in my life, so I am anxious to have these goals in place and have some direction of where I want to be. Who knows what other sorts of changes will pop in and change my life even more in the next decade!

In 1 year: 
- Be almost finished with my inaugural year as a first grade teacher
- Have a stronger understanding of our math curriculum by being on the committee
- Continue being a mentor for new teachers at my school
- Communicate directly with parents more often (emails, phone calls, etc.) to celebrate the good things their child is doing at school

In 5 years: 
- Have completed the reading licensure
- Have my 10 year anniversary with St. Francis (whoa!)
- Continue transitioning into more leadership roles at my school

In 10 years:
- Consider a move to administration
- Teach summer courses through SMU
- Continue to push myself and search for the best ways to instruct just as much as I did while completing my M. Ed. degree

My Legacy:
When students spend a year with me and move onto the following grade levels, I hope they remember me as the teacher that took genuine interest in them and made learning fun. Some people tense up when they hear "make learning fun" but I want to give students experiences that go beyond the textbook. I want them to have fond memories of their learning with me because those are the things they will remember and that will bring joy to their lives years after having me as their teacher. Yes, kids absolutely need to master skills at school, but they also need to build the foundations for a lifetime of interactions with others. I hope to be one of those teachers that ignites students' compassion for others and their love of learning. Both of those traits can take a person far in life. And honestly, what more could a teacher want for his or her student in the grand scheme of things?

No comments:

Post a Comment