Thursday, April 9, 2015

"Take Yourself to the Edge"

Taking yourself to the edge can sometimes be a scary thing to do. I know a couple of people who ride the edge all the time- it's their personality- and it drives me crazy! Sometimes I wish I could live more on the edge... just sometimes :) I have found myself challenged to push the limits during this graduate program. I am taking more risks and have seen some great successes. I also have experienced some failures and have learned from them. My students have also been learning from my examples.

It seems like teachers can fall into a "rut" more often than other professionals. It is easy to keep teaching how you've done it for the last 20 years. It is safe. The students learn. That's a win-win, right? The world of education changes so quickly that even though a lot of the content is similar, the delivery method must be adjusted for today's students. Kids today have much different needs than my parents or I did when we were in school. Teachers willing to go to the edge to try something new to reach their kids can feel intimidated if not fully supported. They are putting a lot on the line and are getting uncomfortable. In order for change to happen, sometimes things need to get messy. That's okay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment