Friday, April 3, 2015

Improvement Plan

I can't believe we are beginning April already! As I look ahead to June, I would like to make some improvements to my Reading instruction in the area of comprehension. With a lot of my students I have worked so hard at decoding words and just reading them that I haven't pushed some kids enough to see if they are truly understanding what they are reading. This is particularly true for my below-level readers. I will also add in some writing elements since those have been a little short this year.

Here's what I will do:

1. Share with students that they have become such great readers (they really have!) that now they are ready for 3rd grade assignments. They always get SO pumped when I say we are doing something from a higher level.
2. Model how to pull out details from stories. Practice whole-class with a few stories. 
3. Transition to small groups in literature circles discussing stories and answering prompts.
4. Create writing prompts for individual students to write what they know about a story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment